Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stepping into Shakespeare

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears." "To be, or not to be: that is the question." "All the world 's a stage." "But, for my own part, it was Greek to me." "Double, double toil and trouble." "Beware the ides of March." "Out of the jaws of death." "The game is up."

All famous quotes. All William Shakespeare.

Why study Shakespeare? Many believe there is no need for it. I beg to differ. Shakespeare is found every day in each of our lives. Maybe it's a reference in a book. Maybe it's a quote like one of the above. Maybe you used in a sentence one of over 1,700 words that Shakespeare invented. There is a huge possibility that you are using Shakespeare daily without even knowing it!

Our study will not only include reading the plays, it will include seeing as many productions on stage as we possibly can. After all, Shakespeare was meant to be performed. Part of understanding and enjoying Shakespeare is in the performance!

This year we will be traveling through eight of Shakespeare's plays. As we travel, I hope to dispel the myth that Shakespeare is "boring" or "difficult." And I hope to instill, if not a love, a respect for Shakespeare's beautiful words.

As we begin our travels, I leave you with one of my favorite quotes that I memorized in 9th grade Honor's English with Mr. Barge.

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father, and refuse thy name.
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I'll no longer be a Capulet."

~Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment