Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Victoria's Taming of the Shrew Project


For my project, I decided to condense this play (slightly) using lines from the play. I chose quotes that give the gist of the plot line in 90 seconds (depending on how quickly your actors read it aloud). 

The Taming of the Shrew in 90 Seconds

Christopher Sly: “Am I a lord…Or do I dream? Or have I dreamed till now?” (Intro.2.66)

Messenger: “Your honor’s players…Are come to play a pleasant comedy…” (Intro.2.126)

Baptista: “Gentlemen…I firmly am resolved…not to bestow my youngest daughter before I have a husband for the elder.” (1.1.48)

Tranio: “That wench is stark mad or wonderful froward.” (1.1.69)

Lucentio: “But in the other’s silence do I see maid’s mild behavior and sobriety.” (1.1.70)

Hortensio:  “…to get a husband for her sister.” (1.1.119)

Tranio: “You will be schoolmaster, and undertake the teaching of the maid.” (1.1.188)

Petruchio: “…I have thrust myself into this maze, haply to wive and thrive…” (1.2.52)

Hortensio: “Her name is Katherina Minola, renowned in Padua for her scolding tongue.” (1.2.96)

Petruchio: “…kiss me Kate, we will be married a’Sunday.” (2.1.315)

Baptista: “…lead these gentlemen to my daughters, and tell them both these are their tutors…” (2.1.107)

Bianca: “…sweet masters both…” (3.1.83)

Kate: “[Petruchio,] who wooed in haste, and means to wed at leisure.” (3.2.11)

Petruchio: “Sit down Kate, and welcome. Food, food, food, food!” (4.1.124)
“’Tis burnt, and so is all the meat.” (4.1.146)
“She eat no meat today, nor none shall eat. Last night she slept not, nor tonight she shall not.” (4.1.181)

Hortensio: “I…do forswear [Bianca]…I will be married to a wealthy widow…” (4.2.29,37)

Kate: “I…am starved for meat, giddy for lack of sleep…” (4.3.9)

Petruchio: “What’s this? A sleeve? ‘Tis like a demi-cannon.” (4.3.88)
“Well, come, my Kate, we will unto your father’s even in these honest mean habiliments.”
(4.3.164)
 “I say it is the moon…” (4.5.4)
Kate: “I know it is the sun…” (4.5.5)

Petruchio: “Evermore crossed and crossed, nothing but crossed!” (4.5.10)
“I say it is the moon.” (4.5.16)

Kate: “I know it is the moon.” (4.5.17)

Lucentio: “…[I] have by marriage made thy daughter mine…” (5.1.97)

Petruchio: “Let’s each one send unto his wife, and he whose wife is most obedient to come at first when he doth send for her, shall win the wager…” (5.2.66)

Lucentio: “…bid your mistress come to me.” (5.2.76)

Bianca: “Fie, what a foolish duty call you this?” (5.2.125)

Hortensio: “…go and entreat my wife to come to me forthwith.” (5.2.86)

Widow:  “Lord, let me never have a cause to sigh, til I be brought to such a silly pass!” (5.2.123)

Petruchio: “…go to your mistress, say I command her come to me.” (5.2.95)

Kate: “What is your will sir, that you send for me?” (5.2.100)

Petruchio: “Katherine, I charge thee tell these headstrong women what duty they do owe their lords and husbands.” (5.2.129)

Kate: “Such duty as the subject owes the prince, even such a woman oweth to her husband.” (5.2.155)

Hortensio: “Now go thy ways, thou hast tamed a curst shrew.” (5.2.188)

-Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment